The Benefits Of Back Braces
What are the benefits of back braces when playing sports or working on your job? In the USA, 9 out of 10 people suffer from back pain. At first, the pain will be tolerable but if it is left unaddressed, it may worsen and the pain will be extremely debilitating and incapacitating. It may be caused by a stressful job, a strenuous physical activity or weak back muscles and unhealthy spine. So, more often, back pain is not a serious condition. However, regardless of what is causing them to experience back pain, some people resort to using back braces as a treatment option. But, the real question is, can a back brace really relieve and treat back pain?
Some studies show that the use back braces can help alleviate back pain which is why a good number of people use them for acute or chronic lower back pain. The good news is that back braces really work and they even have more benefits to offer. Let us take a closer look.
Benefits Of Back Braces
- A back brace can be used for back pain caused by structural problems like sciatica, scoliosis, osteoporosis and bulging discs. It can help prevent the advancement of scoliosis among adolescents.
- It can also be used following a back surgery as it helps to stabilize the spine, promote rehabilitation and quick recovery.
- Lumbar support back braces are good for lower back injury as they can limit spine movement in the lower back and stimulate healing.
- A back brace that supports the abdomen can help improve and promote good posture. It can also lighten up the load in your lower back so back pain will be minimized.
- When a back brace is used during a flare – up of back pain, it allows you to conveniently and comfortably make transitional movements such as from standing to a sitting position or vice – versa.
- With a back brace, you will still be able to work even if you just had a back injury. It will keep strain away from your spine even if you are working.
However, despite all these benefits, some say that the use of a back brace comes with a few not – so – good consequences and they are as follows:
- Prolonged use of back braces may lead to atrophy of the muscles that are supporting the spine. With a back brace, the spine muscles and ligaments will weaken so when the brace is removed, a more serious back or spine injury is likely possible.
- According to a research, a back brace will not really be able to treat scoliosis among adolescents so they can still end up getting a back surgery later
To some it all up, the use of a back brace comes with a large number of benefits. Its benefits clearly outweigh its drawbacks so it is still worth a try especially for those who have low back pain and spine problems. However, prolonged used of such braces is not advisable for a number of reasons so if you are going to use one, see to it that you will not be using it for a very long period of time. More importantly, you should also be aware that there are many different types of back braces for different conditions so a back brace for acute or chronic lower back pain will never be the same back brace that will be used for post – surgery and for scoliosis.
The Brace Shop has back braces for every condition. click here for a full selection of back braces and back supports.